|Office of Converging Technologies - HelpDesk
Supporting the technology needs of the Queens College Community
Configuring MS Outlook Using IMAP
1. Log in to your MS Outlook.
2. Go to Tools->Email Accounts.
3. The E-mail Accounts Wizard dialog box will pop up. Under E-mail, select "Add a new email account." then Click on the Next button.
4. Under Server Type, there are five server types to choose from. Here, choose IMAP and click "Next" to continue.
5. Then, fill in information for Internet E-mail Settings. All fields with the exception of password are required (see below).
Your Name: Enter you First Name and Last Name
E-mail Address: Enter your Lotus Notes e-mail address
Incoming Mail Server (IMAP): imap.qc.cuny.edu (Note: Students should use qcimap.qc.cuny.edu instead)
Outgoing Mail Server (IMAP): smtp.qc.cuny.edu
User Name: Enter your Lotus Notes email address (firstname.lastname@example.org for faculty/staff, flastnameXXX@qc.cuny.edu for Students (ex. email@example.com) )
Password: You may enter your Lotus Notes email password here and check the box marked "Remember password". This it is not required. You may choose to leave this field blank with the box unchecked and have Outlook prompt you when your password is required. Leaving password blank is recommended if you are sharing your computer with other users.
Then, click on the More Settings button.
6. The More Settings button brings up the dialog box of Internet E-mail settings. There are four tabs for the settings: General, Outgoing Server, Connection and Advanced.
Click on the General tab. Under Mail Account, give a nickname of the account you are setting up; the example of the nickname here is notes (as in Lotus Notes).
Under Other User Information, the Organization is "Queens College".
7. Click on the Outgoing Server tab. Check My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication. Select Use same settings as my incoming mail server.
8. Click on the Connection tab. Under Connection, select Connect using my local area network (LAN).
9. Click on the Advanced tab.
Under Server Port Numbers:
a) Check This server required an encrypted connection (SSL). The port number for Incoming server (IMAP) should change to 993.
b) Make sure the box marked This server required an encrypted connection (SSL) is NOT checked. The Outgoing server (SMTP) should be 25.
Under Server Timeouts, increase the timeouts to be 2 minutes.
Click on the OK button to exit the Internet E-mail Settings dialog box and return to E-mail Accounts.
10. Back to the E-mail Accounts wizard dialog box. Click on the Next button.
11. A Congratulations! message signals that you have successfully configured IMAP for your MS Outlook. To exit the wizard, click on the Finish button. This concludes the tutorial on Configuring MS Outlook Using IMAP.